How should I clean and care for my essix retainer?
Please follow these instructions, as well as instructions provided by your dentist for optimal results in use and longevity of your appliance.
- Wear your retainer at all times during the day except for when eating or drinking anything other than water. The essix retainer is designed to serve as a cosmetic appliance as well as hold the adjacent teeth in position so the space doesn’t close.
- Brush and floss your teeth before insertion every day
- Upon removal, the retainer may be cleaned with COLD water only (to prevent the plastic from warping) and liquid soap or toothpaste. Toothpaste can cause a dull clouding of the retainer over time.
- With your soft toothbrush clean the inside of your retainer. Using care not to brush abrasively.
- Your appliance may be soaked in an over the counter denture cleaner for 2-3 times a week for a maximum of 20 mins.
- Your retainer should be stored in a dry case
- NEVER soak your appliance in mouthwash, or alcohol based rinses
- NEVER soak your appliance in bleach or harsh chemicals
- NEVER boil your appliance, it can distort.
- Keep appliance away from animals. They will chew appliance.
- Be aware that your retainer will need to be replaced periodically depending on regular wear and tear, if lost, or broken.
- You can expect your essix retainer to last for the normal healing time of 8-12 months.
Dr. Gary Michaelson came very highly recommended to me as both a qualified general and cosmetic dentist. He put me at ease on my first visit, and his office staff ... Read More