How should I clean and care for my occlusal guard (night guard)?
The Night Guard that was custom made for you is a hard clear acrylic exterior with a hygienic soft thermoplastic inner lining. Please follow these instructions, as well as instructions provided by your dentist for optimal results in use and longevity of your appliance.
- Brush and floss your teeth before insertion.
- When placing guard in. If guard feels tight, place the appliance in warm water for 15-20 seconds. This will quickly soften the inner lining allowing for ease of placement.
- Upon removal, the appliance may be cleaned with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. Or antibacterial hand soap.
- Use care not to brush too abrasively on the soft inner lining. DO NOT use an abrasive tooth brush i.e. Denture tooth brush
- NEVER soak your appliance in mouthwash, or alcohol based rinses
- NEVER soak your appliance in bleach or harsh chemicals
- NEVER boil your appliance, it can distort.
- Keep appliance away from animals. They will chew appliance.
- Your appliance can be soaked in a denture cleaner for a maximum of 20 min, 1 time a week
- Store your night guard in a dry case when not in use
- Over time the appliance can discolor due to age.
- Guards should be brought in at your annual exam to a sure it is providing adequate protection.
- Be aware that eventual replacement of your appliance will be necessary depending on the severity of grinding as well as regular wear and tear. You can expect your appliance to last anywhere from 3-5 years.