Why Your Orlando Dentist May Recommend a Crown
Crowns are one of the most widely-used dental restorations and with good reason. They are a versatile solution, placing them is a straightforward process that usually only takes two visits, and since a crown can last 15 years or longer, they are a cost-effective long-term solution.
What Does a Dental Crown Do?
Your dentist will typically recommend a dental crown to strengthen and protect a damaged tooth. The restoration is usually made of esthetic porcelain or ceramic and is customized to fit over and surround an existing tooth.
Reasons for Recommending a Crown
Since crowns fit like a cap over your teeth, they can be used in numerous situations:
- Severe decay compromises the structure of a tooth
- A tooth has already been filled multiple times
- After root canal therapy to strengthen the weakened tooth
- Add strength to a fractured or broken tooth
All-porcelain or ceramic crowns are an excellent esthetic choice because they can be customized to match the color of your existing teeth for a restoration that blends seamlessly with your smile. These crowns look so natural that no one ever has to know you had any work done. This quality also makes crowns an appropriate choice for cosmetic repairs:
- Conceal a tooth with severe staining that can’t be whitened professionally
- Alter the shape and size of a tooth for a more harmonious appearance
- Hide a large silver filling has darkened over time and now mars your smile
Dental Crowns in Orlando
If you think crowns might be the right solution for you, please call our Orlando, FL dental office to arrange a convenient consultation. Dr. Gary Michaelson will be happy to sit down with you to discuss your concerns and help you decide if crowns or another type of restoration are appropriate for your needs.