Tooth-Colored Composite Fillings in Orlando, FL
Tooth-colored fillings placed at Alafaya Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry not only look completely natural, but also add strength to weakened teeth. Thanks to advanced bonding technologies, tooth-colored fillings are esthetically pleasing and very strong.
It’s not uncommon, though, to still see people with silver/amalgam fillings in their teeth. For decades, this material was the filling of choice for teeth that needed to withstand significant chewing force, such as molars.
Drawbacks of Silver Amalgam Fillings
After years of clinical use, we now understand that amalgam fillings have many drawbacks:
- They are not esthetically pleasing as they are obvious and can get darker over time.
- The outer edge of the metal filling may wear down, break, or become leaky. When this happens, the tooth is no longer protected because it is exposed to cavity-causing bacteria.
- When a tooth is filled with amalgam, the material is just packed into the prepared space. The filling isn’t really attached to the sides of the tooth, which can cause it to eventually pull away from the tooth.
- Since the metal filling just sits inside the space, it is also prone to expanding and contracting due to temperature changes. Over the years, this subtle movement can cause the tooth to fracture and break.
For all these reasons, Dr. Michaelson has not placed a single amalgam filling in 18 years.
Why We Choose Tooth-Colored Restorations
Tooth-colored composite fillings offers many advantages:
- They are esthetically pleasing as they blend seamlessly with your natural tooth.
- Composite fillings are designed to bond directly to the surface of the tooth.
- Tooth-colored restorations are effective even when much of the tooth structure has been lost or compromised.
- Unlike silver amalgam fillings, the composite resin material expands and contracts at the same rate as your tooth, minimizing the risk of breaks.
Replacing Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restoration
At Alafaya Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, we recommend replacing old, worn, or defective amalgam fillings to prevent decay and brighten up your smile. First, Dr. Michaelson will remove the old filling and prepare the tooth. Next, he places the tooth-colored material, curing it with a special light that works in five seconds, as opposed to traditional halogen lights that take over sixty seconds.
Dr. Michaelson will check with you to see how the new tooth surface feels, make sure your bite is comfortable, and then show you the beautiful natural-looking results.
Please Call for More Information
Are you interested in having your silver fillings replaced or just learning more about state-of-the-art tooth colored fillings? Please call our Orlando dental office, and we’ll be happy to arrange a convenient appointment with Dr. Michaelson.